Wednesday, December 3, 2008

One night at Mickey D's

One night, I went to the McDonald with 2 dollar and a quarter to do an extra credit assignment. I chose the night time so that employees there would not get so emotional about taking so much time for ordering two items from dollar menu. When I went in, luckily there was no one beside the employees of McDonald at the counter. Everyone else was taking drive through since it was around 9 pm. I walked up to the counter and asked for a cheeseburger and a small fries. I asked them to give me exactly four pickles on my burger and no salt on my fries. Lucky for me they were just frying up some new fries so getting fries with no salt did not take too long. But the order of my four pickles on a cheeseburger made the lady, who took my order, smile. Then she told the person who made the burger to put exactly four pickles on a cheeseburger which made that person laugh. Unlike the cheeseburger, no salt on a fries did not make fuzz. The lady who took my order then walked to the fries stand to get the fries without adding salt to it. When she came back to take the money, I asked her for the receipt that says exactly four pickles on cheeseburger and no salt on fries. She asked me to confirm what I had just asked her with a wondering look on her face. She struggled a while looking for the buttons to fulfill my request. After few seconds, she asked other employee, whom had been working there longer, for help. The other one came over and asked what was going on to her then asked me the same question that previous one had asked; four pickles and no salt on receipt? Then I asked her for the receipt as I did to the other one. She did not give me any look but she struggled to find the button as well. After few seconds of struggling she found the button that said extra pickle. She said after printing the receipt with extra pickle on that there is no button for no salt on fries. Then I asked again, very calmly, for a manager. She tried to convince me, although I didn’t care much, that there was no such button in their program yet. Then I insisted again to speak with a manager. The original employee who took my order gave me an unpleasant look with a little shrug then asked for the manager to come. Manager came and asked the employees first what was going one. After their explanation he turned to me and said that they did not have no salt button installed in their program. I asked him, if that was the case, to write no salt on the receipt and number 4 next to the extra pickle. After all was done, I walked away with my food. My order came exactly as I asked and it took me about 5 minutes.
Considering there was no one else other than me ordering, management process of this McDonald was fairly easy to observe. Order preparation of this McDonald was quick. My cheeseburger and fries came out very soon and exactly how I asked them. Communication between employees and managers were fair. Employees tried to solve the problem by themselves first, then asked for manager’s help only when it was out of their hand. Coordination was fairly good as well. When I asked for the order there was a personnel to complete my order accordingly by division of process, not one person participating all process. Customer service was very poor. They laughed at my order, which I took very personally. Also they were hesitant to fulfill my request for the manager giving me an attitude of them being right. Overall management process was fair but customer service can use a little improvement. If I was to consult this McDonald, I would set up a program that had no salt button to be written on a receipt for a customer. Then I would train the employees to be aware of these special orders and not to discomfit the customer who places them.

No comments: